Storify Feed Feedburner Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube

ROS Lboard

Malakoff to issue RM460m sukuk to buy Hicom Power

December 17, 2012

By Tanu Pandey

KUALA LUMPUR: Malakoff Corp Bhd’s move to buy Hicom Power Sdn Bhd for RM575 million will be funded primarily by a sukuk issuance.

This is seen as a move to strengthen the MMC Corp Bhd’s energy utilities subsidiary before its initial public offering (IPO) in the second-quarter of next year.

The acquisition of Hicom Power, an operation and maintenance company for power plants, will be funded by issue of sukuk worth RM460 million while the rest will be paid through internally generated funds.

The acquisition will provide optimisation of resources in operation, efficient cost allocation on operation and maintenance of the facilities at the Tanjung Bin Plant, MMC group managing director Hasni Harun told reporters last Friday after the company’s extraordinary general meeting.

It will also facilitate speedier decision making for Malakoff and provide immediate profit contribution to the MMC group without any additional risk, he added.

MMC is a utilities and infrastructure group. Its subsidiary Malakoff is an independent power producer. When asked about the amount of money the company is aiming to raise from the IPO, Hasni said the company would first go into a book building process and it was too early to talk about the amount.

The company has already appointed advisors for the road shows before the IPO, he added.

“Some 80% of the proceeds will be used to pay off the debts of Malakoff and the [remaining] 20% will be ploughed back into the company for working capital,” he said.

This content is provided by FMT content partner The Malaysian Reserve.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments