Since cats rely heavily on their eyes for effective communication, it would do you a world of good to remember these tips when dealing with them.
Experts in cat behaviour have long known that a cat uses her eyes to convey anger, annoyance, happiness, love and a multitude of other more subtle emotions.
Cat Whisperer Stephanie Harkins says, āCats have a highly complex vocal and gesture system that allows them to communicate in great detail with both humans and each other.ā
In her experiments with her own cats, Stephanie found that to ātalkā effectively to your cat, you must make eye contact with her.
Hereās an easy experiment you can try today on your own feline friend.
If you want your cat to come sit on your lap, make eye contact with her for two full seconds, then look at where you want her to come (on your lap), look back at her for a full second, then look elsewhere afterwards.
Stephanie says, āYou may have to do this two or three times before your cat understands that YOU understand the whole āeye thingā.ā Pretty soon you will be able to do this without any hesitance on your catās part.
- Eyes wide open and looking to you ā sheās attentive and alert and listening to what youāre saying to her.
- Eyes close all the way for a split second or stay half closed ā she has absolute trust in you.
- Eye pupils dilated ā oh no, sheās angry and if given the chance, sheāll attack.
- Eye pupils in slits ā sheās feeling pretty perky and confident today.
- Bug-eyes ā sheās frightened!
- Blinking and winking ā sheās engaging in kitty chatter, probably saying how much she loves you.
- Clouded eyes ā sheās ill or sheās extremely relaxed.
Since cats rely heavily on their eyes for effective communication, it would do you a world of good to remember this when dealing with them.
Cats take staring as a personal challenge ā if sheās a timid cat, sheāll shy away and your chance at a friendship goes up in smoke.
If sheās a feisty one, she just might take you up on a challenge and fight you.
So no matter how beautiful she is to look at, look away ā at least until sheās warmed up to you somewhat.
If she allows you to pet her, close your own eyes while looking at her ā you are telling her you trust her and wish to be best friends forever.
Remember sheās reading your eyes all the time for signals of your temperament too. So when mingling with cats, be conscious of this fascinating form of ātalkingā ā it will take your relationship with kitty to a whole new dimension.