Facebook Twitter Google Plus Vimeo Youtube Feed Feedburner

Leisure Home LBoard

Study shows battery malfunction behind 70% of car breakdowns

 | November 21, 2017

Recent survey of Malaysian drivers also finds 75% of cars use maintenance-free batteries as it is safer and lasts longer.

car-1PETALING JAYA: A study shows that 70% of vehicle breakdowns are caused by battery malfunctions, while the second most reason was engine failure (20%), followed by wiring problems (5%).

The survey which took a sample of 350 Malaysian drivers aged between 18 and 55, was carried out by Bosch, a leading supplier of automotive components.

“A car breakdown is an inconvenience and a safety risk to its driver, especially if it breaks down in the middle of traffic. That is why, all drivers are urged to perform regular battery checks regardless of battery type.

“They can do this with an electronic battery tester by themselves or at most workshops and car service centres,” said Pang Yoon Kong, who is country manager of Bosch Automotive Aftermarket in Malaysia.

Pang Yoon Kong

Pang Yoon Kong

The survey also revealed that around 75% of Malaysian drivers are using maintenance-free batteries with the remaining 25% still using conventional lead-acid batteries.

“Owners of cars using lead-acid batteries need to be additionally diligent with their battery maintenance.

“Around 50% of premature battery failure is due to lack of maintenance or water evaporation from the high levels of heat under the hood, especially in a hot climate like Malaysia’s,” Pang said, advising drivers that regular battery maintenance is important to prolong a lead-acid battery’s lifespan.

“Also, do not over-fill as the fluid level will rise when the battery is charging and it may cause an overflow.”

Speaking of the benefits of maintenance-free batteries, Pang said that it has higher cranking power and charge capacities.

“It also recharges faster and lasts longer than comparable conventional lead-acid batteries, aside from not requiring any maintenance to function.

“Most are also equipped with indicators to determine whether the battery is at optimum charge or not, and also when it needs to be replaced, and incorporates safety features to prevent external sparks or flames from igniting battery gases,” he said.

Pang added that these are the main reasons why most Malaysian drivers prefer maintenance-free batteries as it makes for hassle-free convenience and safety.

bosch-2


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments