Storify Feed Feedburner Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube

ROS Lboard

PAS names Rais in ‘rape’ case

 | January 4, 2011

The opposition party also challenges the minister to clear his name or resign from his post and as MP of Jelebu.

KUALA KELAWANG: PAS has named Information, Communications and Culture Minister Rais Yatim as the high-profile figure who allegedly raped his Indonesian maid four years ago.

The opposition party also challenged the 69-year-old Jelebu MP to deny the charge.

Referring to the alleged WikiLeaks disclosure of diplomatic whisper regarding the matter, Negri Sembilan PAS chief Zulkefly Mohamed Omar led a delegation of local PAS leaders armed with placards to file a police report on the matter.

The report was lodged by Jelebu PAS vice-chief Jamalus Mansor with the district police headquarters here this morning.

Naming Rais in the report, Jamalus urged the police to investigate WikiLeaks, Rocky Bru’s blog and Migrant Care (member of Migrant Forum in Asia and International NGO Platform on Migrants Worker’s Convention) regarding the matter.

Speaking to reporters later, Zulkefly called on the Umno minister to clear his name or resign.

“If Rais has any dignity, he should clear his name by suing WikiLeaks, Rocky’s Bru and Migrant Care over the allegation,” he said.

“WikiLeaks also reported that former Singapore premier Lee Kuan Yew believed that (Opposition Leader) Anwar Ibrahim was involved in the sodomy case. But at least Anwar challenged Lee to furnish evidence in court and the latter denied that he said it.

“If Rais does not dare to do this, then he should just resign from the Cabinet and as MP for Jelebu,” he added.

Najib must break his silence

The PAS chief also wanted Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak to break his silence over the serious allegation.

“The country’s image is at stake because this allegation does not concern an ordinary citizen, but a Cabinet minister. Najib should be bold enough to clear this matter, and if the allegation is true, he must take action against Rais,” he said.

Meanwhile, another police report would be lodged on the matter in Seremban tomorrow by an NGO called Solidariti Anak Muda Malaysia (SAMM) led by PKR’s Badrul Hisham Shaharin.

In a text message to FMT, SAMM claimed they would expose evidence regarding the alleged rape case.

Contacted later, Federal CID director Mohd Bakri Zinin said that the police would investigate the allegation.

Previously, it was reported that based on the alleged WikiLeaks report, former premier Abdullah Ahmad Badawi had purportedly covered up the rape case.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments