A father and son, who were bashed by thugs, are wondering why police have not initiated an investigation.
KUCHING: Nine days after Minggat anak Nyakin and his son Juan were attacked at a timber log pond at Sungai Rusa in Sarikei Division, their families and relatives are wondering why the authorities have not taken any action against their attackers.
According to Sarawak Native Landowners Network (Tahabas) spokesman Bernard Nyumbang Anank Barau, there has also been no police investigation into the alleged illegal logging activities.
“The family members will lodge a report with the Malaysian-Anti Corruption Commission (MACC) against the police within 14 days, if the police don’t act against the attackers.
“The family members will also try to get legal help against the company,” said Nyumbang.
He added that a recent check at the log pond showed no sign of activities.
“There seems to be no activities at the log pond now, but this may only be a misleading and temporary reprieve.
“It is believed that the loggers will resume their activities since no investigation is done,” he said.
Both Minggat and his son were released from the hospital on Feb 19 and went home after their statements were recorded by the police.
They are no longer under police custody.
He does not know why the police are holding back the car.
Minggat, who had heard about the near bloody encounter between 200 longhouse folk in Ulu Niah and 100 armed gangsters, has urged the police in Sarekei Division to take the cases seriously and act efficiently.
Juan knows who hit Minggat on the head which resulted in a four stitches. Juan also knows who landed the first blow on him.
The father and son were attacked on Feb 14 when they went to investigate the alleged illegal logging activities on their land.
They had previously reported the matter to the relevant authorities including the police, but their reports fell on deaf ears.