It will inconvenience city folk and disrupt businesses in the area, says Umno Youth.
Several other organisations followed suit and also filed reports of their own. They were the Bukit Bintang Umno Youth, KL Umno Youth, Umno’s Urban Affairs Secretariat (SHEB), Tunku Abdul Rahman Traders Association, Perkasa Youth, Angkatan Belia Islam Kepong and Gertak.
The Bersih 2.0 rally themed “Walk for Democracy” is to be held on July 9. One of the gathering points of the rally is the Sogo shopping complex area.
Bersih, made up of several opposition parties and various civil society groups, want six demands met, including putting an end to misuse of government machinery during elections.
Bersih is led by former Bar Council chief S Ambiga. Earlier this month, PAS, which is a Bersih coalition member, pledged that 100,000 of its party members would join the rally.
Umno Youth executive council member Tengku Azman Tengku Zainol Abidin said: “The police reports are lodged as an early measure to stop the rally as it will affect city dwellers and the business community.
“July 9 is a Saturday, a busy day that attracts scores of people to the area; in addition, the night market would be held at Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman.”
Azman said that there were many other ways for Bersih to air its grouses instead of taking to the streets.
He said Umno Youth would have no issues if Bersih holds the assembly in a confined place like a stadium with police permit. “It is their right to gather peacefully but not on the streets.”
He added that he was not confident that the Bersih 2.0 organisers would be able to control the participants.
“Based on past experience, a lot of things happened. The participants became overly emotional and when police tried to calm them, they claimed police provocation,” he added.
Azman also criticised Bersih’s first rally in 2007. “What did they achieve from that? Nothing.”