PKR officials Azmin Ali and N Surendran contradict themselves over police conditions for Monday's '901' gathering.
Kuala Lumpur police chief Mohmad Salleh said the 10-points were actually “no more, no less” of what was talked about at their meeting with PKR leaders, including Azmin Ali yesterday morning.
Following the meeting, police said that they would allow the rally on Monday as they had been assured by the PKR leaders including Azmin that the “solidarity” gathering would be peaceful and that the group would disperse after the court decision on Anwar Ibrahim’s sodomy II trial is made.
Late yesterday evening Sentul police, which oversees the Jalan Duta Court area, announced the 10 conditions that organisers and participants must adhere to.
Among the conditions were prohibitions against public speeches and any actions, including noises or signals, that would disrupt court proceedings.
The participants were also only allowed to gather within the parking lot area in front of the court.
Brochures and banners with the tagline ‘Bebaskan Anwar 901’ or ‘Bebaskan Anwar’ were barred from use during the rally.
PKR vice-president N Surendran however, responded to the conditions by saying that Mohmad had not set any conditions during the meeting. He then said: “we will proceed with the gathering on that basis.”
However, earlier today, Azmin in a statement said that “only some conditions were agreed upon with the police but certain other restrictions were not discussed at all”.
‘They agreed to conditions’
Mohmad however told FMT that “every single point in the conditions were clearly discussed”.
“It was agreed upon during our meeting yesterday, those were the exact things we discussed. No more, no less.
“How could we have negotiations and discussions without any conditions at all? Plus, these conditions are not too heavy, everything is just so that we can maintain peace and order,” said Mohmad.
He however refused to “speculate” when asked if the politicians were just politicizing the issue.
Mohmed said he had yesterday taken Azmin’s word that the gathering would be peaceful as “honest and and sincere”.
He said now it was the obligation of the organisers and participants to adhere to the rule of law as well as the conditions set.
“Please help the police here. We want the organisers to be able to manage the crowd, we can’t have a rowdy crowd in court.
“My advise to the public is that those who want to go will have to follow our instructions. No weapons. You want to give support to your political leader, okay, but don’t create chaos.
“We would facilitate the process,” he said.
Cops ready to act
While he stressed that police are allowing the gathering in the spirit of the new Peaceful Assembly Act, Mohmad warned that any individuals who commits any offences will be brought to book.
“We will see, anybody who does anything wrong, we will charge them. If there are arms, fights, vandalism, we will be ready,” he said.
On the exact police numbers that would be deployed on Monday, Mohmad said he would not reveal his manpower, but said they have “enough”.
Asked about the new law that prohibits children under 15 years from participating and whether police will act, Mohmad said he would not comment but added that police would use their discretion and assess the situation when the time comes.
Meanwhile sources told FMT that police have been briefed to expect a big 100,000 people crowd.
They have roped in additional support from Perak and Selangor as well as some 300 personnel from Bukit Aman and other police districts.
It is learnt that riot police and FRU trucks will not be deployed but are on standby.
“There will be no provocation from our side and we would move in if it becomes very unruly,” said a source.
It is understood that the court’s main entrance will be closed as early as 6am and the usual parking spaces for lawyers and court personnel will also be closed off.