Storify Feed Feedburner Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube Vimeo

ROS Lboard

PAS tells EC top guns: Resign now… or else!

 | April 30, 2012

The party does not rule out the possibility of another protest but says that the decision to call for another rally rests solely with Bersih.

PETALING JAYA: PAS deputy president, Mohamad Sabu, today did not rule out the possibility of another rally if top Election Commission (EC) officials do not resign immediately.

He was, neverthess, quick to add that the decision to hold another protest was solely up to electoral watchdog Bersih.

He said that political parties were merely supporting the coalition of 84 NGOs under the Bersih umbrella which held its third rally on Saturday.

“What I can say is that should the EC top guns not resign, the next time, we [PAS] will mobilise one million people.

“If they [EC officials] are stubborn and refuse to step down, there may be another rally. But we will leave that for Bersih to decide.

“We are merely political parties who support them,” said Mohamad Sabu, popularly known as Mat Sabu.

One of Bersih’s demands at Saturday’s rally was for the immediate resignation of EC chairman Abdul Aziz Mohd Yusoff and his deputy Wan Ahmad Wan Omar.

Bersih claims that the electoral roll is ridden with irregularities which will not guarantee free and fair elections.

It’s co-chairman S Ambiga said that no decision has been made over another rally, adding that the group will continue to highlight irregularities in the electoral process.

Mat Sabu was speaking to the press this afternoon after sending a memorandum to the EC demanding the resignation of Abdul Aziz and Wan Ahmad.

The memorandum was accepted by a representative from the EC’s public relations office.

“They have fallen short from fulfilling their duties. They have not cleaned the electoral roll and now there is evidence that they are Umno members,” he said.

He was referring to PKR secretary-general Saifuddin Nasution’s revelation last week that Abdul Aziz was a member of Umno’s Sri Ampang branch and Wan Ahmad a member of the Kubang Bunggor branch in Pasir Mas.

Both Abdul Aziz and Wan Ahmad responded to Saifuddin’s revelation, saying that they may have been registered as members decades ago but have remained inactive.

Mat Sabu, however, said that no definite time line was given for the duo to resign.

When asked what action would the political parties take should the EC heads refuse to resign, Mat Sabu merely said, “We [political parties] will have to discuss the matter”.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments