Container delivery operations in Port Klang are expected to return to normal now that an MOU between the hauliers and depot operators have been signed.
SHAH ALAM: The Association of Malaysian Hauliers (AMH) and the Container Depot Operators in Port Klang today ended their dispute concerning prime mover drivers by signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
In a joint statement released by the parties concerned, the depot operators agreed to give credit terms to hauliers and the details of the agreement would be dealt with by individual hauliers.
The depots operating hours would be from 8am to 4am the next day with no lunch break and no dinner break while the operating hours on any public holidays and Sundays will be from 8am to 4pm, it said.
The Depot Operators are to take all steps needed with AMH to achieve the target of a maximum of one hour to service each individual prime mover.
The statement said container delivery operations would resume immediately and with the cooperation of all parties, Port Klang is expected to return to normal operations within the next few days.
The dispute ended after a five-party negotiation involving the Ministry of Transport, Ministry of International Trade and Industry, Port Klang Authority (PKA), AMH and Container Depot Operators.
On Wednesday, more than 2,000 container haulage drivers demonstrated at the Bandar Sultan Sulaiman Interchange near Port Klang’s Northport protesting over the higher charges imposed by the Container Depot Operators and the level of service offered at the depots.
The drivers claimed that the depot charge which used to be at RM5 had been increased to RM18 by depot operators and they were also unhappy that they had to wait three to four hours before being able to deliver or take delivery of containers and such delay affected their operations as well as their earnings.
Following the protest, container delivery operations at both terminals in Port Klang, Northport and Westports were disrupted until yesterday.