Storify Feed Feedburner Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube

ROS Lboard

Hasan backs ‘fatwa’ against demos

 | May 8, 2012

The former Selangor PAS commissioner says the National Fatwa Council would have deliberated properly before issuing the fatwa.

PETALING JAYA: Former Selangor PAS commissioner Hasan Ali supported the decision of the National Fatwa Council in issuing an edict against mass demonstrations recently.

Speaking at a press conference from his residence here, Hasan said the Fatwa Council would not have announced the edict without proper deliberation.

“It’s not easy to come up with an edict. You need a lot of references and many scholars have to be consulted. I know this well as I was a former executive councillor for Islamic affairs in Selangor,” he said.

On Sunday, the council decided that it was “haram” (not permissible) for Muslims to participate in any gathering or demonstrations that is unproductive, unlawful or causes disturbances in the country.

Its chairman Abdul Shukor Husin announced this in the aftermath of the Bersih 3.0 rally, which saw protesters and several journalists being beaten up by the police.

Defending the edict, Hasan said that there was no need to dispute it as it was made by a council chaired by scholars.

Although he supported Bersih 3.0′s calls for free and fair elections, Hasan said he was concerned over the way the rally was conducted.

“Some of the participants were making moves to occupy Dataran Merdeka. To me, it sounded like a mini revolution,” said Hasan.

Irresponsible quarters

He also said that the government had already tabled the Parliamentary Select Committee Report on Electoral Reforms and once the recommendations are implemented, Malaysia would have an electoral system that would meet international standards.

“So let’s be firm, pragmatic and realistic here. Anyway, I must congratulate the police for being well-prepared for the rally,” he said.

Hasan added that he believed the Bersih 3.0 rally was hijacked by certain irresponsible quarters for their selfish political agenda.

“And what was the result? A policeman was almost killed and scores of people beaten up. What is the lesson we are teaching our young ones? Bersih organisers must think of all this,” he said.

On another matter, Hasan’s lawyer Hasnal Rezua Merican said that he had filed suits against PAS vice-president Mahfuz Omar and central committee member Khalid Samad on April 12, at the Kuala Lumpur High Court and the Shah Alam High Court respectively.

“The case management against Khalid was done on April 30 while the one against Mahfuz will be done on May 14,” said Hasnal.

In March, Hasan announced that he would file a legal suit against the PAS duo for accusing him of allegedly soliciting funds from the Youth and Sports Ministry and a company to finance his roadshows.

The roadshows are organised by Jati, an NGO set up by Hasan, to create awareness on Islamic issues and apostasy.

Also read:

Nik Aziz: Fatwa Council seeing with one eye

Hasan Ali saman Mahfuz, Khalid Samad kerana memfitnah


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments