Storify Feed Feedburner Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube Vimeo

ROS Lboard

Police release video of ‘Bersih’ death wish

 | May 14, 2012

The clip, uploaded to YouTube, is meant to support the government contention that the Bersih violence was planned.

VIDEO INSIDE

PETALING JAYA: Police have released a video clip to back a government claim that some people wanted deaths to happen during last month’s Bersih 3.0 rally.

The clip, uploaded to the Royal Malaysian Police channel on YouTube today, shows a man wearing a Bersih T-shirt saying: “It is all right even if five of us die; there are so many who will live.”

He appears to be casually responding to a remark from a person who is off-camera but can be heard saying: “If we charge through, they’ll surely attack.”

They are in a large group of people who appear to be standing by the police barricades at Dataran Merdeka.

Earlier today, Deputy Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar echoed Home Minister Hishammuddin Hussein’s statement that there were parties that wanted to see serious injuries and even fatalities during the April 28 rally.

Khalid said police had proof of the claim in the form of a video. But he added that no action would be taken against the individual who uttered the words because no offence was committed.

“Police have proof in video showing that there was one person who was planning for death,” he told reporters who met him during a blood donation campaign. “The person said that it would be okay even if five people died that day.”

Khalid also said there would be no action against those who sold hamburgers in protest outside the home of Bersih 3.0 leader S Ambiga because that gathering was allowed under the Peaceful Assembly Act 2011.

Khalid also informed the media that 21 individuals wanted in connection with offences during the Bersih rally had either surrendered or been arrested.

Trading blames

He said all the 141 individuals whose photographs were released to the media had been identified and would be arrested if they did not surrender. He added that no warrant was required for the arrest of people suspected of rioting.

Some 80,000 people thronged the streets of Kuala Lumpur on April 28. The rally, which started off peacefully, deteriorated into chaos and violence about 3pm, after a group of protesters breached the police barricades.

Police fired tear gas and chemical-laced water and arrested more than 500 people. Several journalists and policemen were injured in the melee that ensued and lasted into the night.

The government on one side and the opposition parties and Bersih on the other have been trading blames for the violence and injuries that occurred.

So far, two persons have been charged in court over Bersih 3.0.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments