The ex-IGP says his panel, unlike Suhakam, is looking at a wider scope with regard to the Bersih 3.0 rally.
KUALA LUMPUR: The independent advisory panel, tasked with probing the
alleged abuses during the April 28 Bersih 3.0 rally, said its investigation will not be a duplication of Suhakam’s inquiry into the same matter.
Panel head, former inspector- general of police Hanif Omar, said his team – unlike Suhakam – would look into a more “wider scope of things beyond human rights abuses.”
“Our job scope differs from Suhakam,” he told reporters today.
“They (Suhakam) are merely looking into human rights abuse whereas we are looking into 10 issues and are inquiring into a wider scope of things… there will be no duplication,” he added, after charing the panel’s second meeting.
Among others, the panel would investigate if there had been “random, widespread and wanton physical assault and brutality by the police” on the public and media during the rally.
The panel was also investigating if the police were unlawful in confiscating and destroying photographs and video recordings of the rally.
Hanif said the panel was looking at consulting foreign experts from the UK, US and Canada on aspects of managing a large assembly of people.
There had been much criticism with regard to the panel headed by Hanif. The Bar Council had snubbed this panel as it did not see the necessity of two investigations into the same issue.
Despite this, the council said that it was still open to meeting Hanif to discuss the matter.
Hanif said he hoped the Bar Council would meet him for the “good of the country” and would like to meet a representative from the council soon.
Police briefs panel
Meanwhile, Hanif said the police briefed the panel over the rally today, adding that the police had 43 video clips totalling 73 hours.
The panel watched 40 minutes of the clips consisting of political speeches made on days leading up to the rally and some clips on the day of the rally itself.
“We will not look at all the clips as some are just recordings of the same incidents from different angles,” said Hanif.
He added that there were some seditious remarks seen in today’s clips and that the panel had asked the police to provide more information on the matter.
Hanif also revealed that these speeches were not just taken in Kuala Lumpur but around the country as well.
Asked if the clips showed a rowdy crowd which destroyed public property, Hanif said he would reserve his comments on the matter for now.
Bukit Aman criminal investigation division deputy director Abdul Samah Mat had briefed the panel.
Hanif also said that two members of the six-member panel had pulled out today.
The two were former chief justice of Borneo Steve Shim Lip Kiong who pulled out for health reasons and Petronas corporate affairs senior general manager Medan Abdullah due to work commitments.
Hanif said it was up to the panel’s secretariat to announce their replacements soon.
He also encouraged any party including the public who had additional information or complaints to come forward.
They could contact the panel’s secretariat at 03-8886 8110/ 8886 8112, fax their information to 03- 8889 4836 or email [email protected]
The panel would again next Monday.