Ibrahim Ali reacts to a recent Utusan Malaysia report about a 1999 statutory declaration by a Bank Negara official.
KUALA LUMPUR: Perkasa president Ibrahim Ali today urged the government to establish a royal commission to investigate an allegation that Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim held RM3 billion in his personal accounts in the 1990s, when he was deputy prime minister.
“If not an RCI, the government must at least open a white paper on the matter,” Ibrahim said at a press conference here.
Three days ago, Utusan Malaysia published an article on an old statutory declaration made by former Bank Negara assistant governor Abdul Murad Khalid alleging than Anwar had about RM3 billion in 20 separate personal accounts. The funds were said to be managed by his cronies.
Murad was also reported as saying that he had managed money transfers involving Anwar’s account worth RM120million.
However, a check by FMT showed that Murad later retracted his declaration, saying the now defunct Anti-Corruption Agency had forced him to sign it in 1999.
Ibrahim said the matter involved national interest and must be investigated.
“It involves abuse of power and corruption,” said the Pasir Mas MP. “The public deserves the truth and the government must uphold the law.”
He said he had lodged a police report and submitted a letter to MACC chief Abu Kassim Mohamed, urging him to ensure that the allegation would be investigated.
He said he appreciated Murad for coming forward on the matter but added that he should not be let off the hook for being involved in one of the fund transfers.
“He cannot say that he was instructed by his superior. As a public servant, Khalid should have not acted against the law. Besides, he could have referred the matter to then prime minister Mahathir Mohamad.”
Ibrahim also spoke about the government’s move to set up an independent panel to investigate the violence that occurred during the Bersih 3.0 rally last April 28. He said the panel was unnecessary.
“It was an illegal assembly; there is nothing to investigate,” he said.
During the massive rally, police allegedly assaulted scores of protesters and journalists.
The investigative panel is composed of six members, led by former IGP Haniff Omar. However, two of the members have withdrawn. They are the Chief Judge of Borneo Steve Shim and Petronas senior general manager Medan Abdullah.
On the violence, Ibrahim said journalists should have known that bad things were bound to happen during huge gatherings.
“Naturally, the police have to push some people away to control the crowd and public personalities. What do you expect? A red carpet treatment? If you’re a policeman, what will you do in that situation?”
He said the rally organisers were the ones to blame for the violence, and he urged the government to take action against them.
Suaram must lodge report
The Perkasa leader also referred to French investigations into the Scorpene scandal and a recent allegation by Suaram that Malaysian officials had sold navy secrets to a foreign power.
He called upon Suaram to provide evidence of the allegations. “Lodge a police report and it’s up to the government to investigate the matter,” he said.
Last month, Suaram’s lawyer, Joseph Breham, alleged that a defence company, Terasasi (Hong Kong) Limited, had bought the Royal Malaysian Navy’s evaluation of the Scorpene submarine for RM142 million.