Home Ministry's release of Bersih 3.0 rally footage today is postponed but reasons for the change of plans remain unknown.
Ministry sources said that instruction was given by the minister, Hishammuddin Hussein, earlier this morning to hold back the posting of the video on the ministry’s website.
However, no apparent reason has been given for the sudden decision.
“The minister gave an instruction this morning to postpone it, we don’t know the reasons as yet,” a source in the ministry told FMT.
On Sunday, Hishammuddin said that the video, which would show “the good, the bad, and the ugly”, would be uploaded onto the ministry’s website on Tuesday and could be viewed the next day.
“We are still compiling the visuals. The point of showing the video was to provide the people a wider perspective of what went down during the rally,” Hishammuddin reportedly said.
“The video is to show what really happened in the rally so the rakyat can make their own judgments after viewing it and not be influenced by the narrow opinions of others,” he had said.
Hishammuddin also said the ministry was ready to face the possibility of legal actions by any group after viewing the video.
Panel to view footage
However, a statement issued later today explained that the ministry was waiting for the Independent Advisory Panel headed by former inspector-general of police Hanif Omar to look through the videos first.
The statement explained that the ministry wanted panel to watch through all of the footage first.
Home Ministry secretary-general Abdul Rahim Mohd Radzi said that the panel was handed all the video recordings previously.
“The panel should be given the appropriate space and time to assessment on each of the recordings,” said Abdul Rahim.
He added that the ministry will take all the views and advise of the panel, which will hold a meeting next Monday on June 11.