Storify Feed Feedburner Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube Vimeo

ROS Lboard

Illegal funds: Anwar says he was cleared in 2009

 | June 12, 2012

The former deputy prime minister said that the investigating officer for the case on the illegal transfer of funds in 1998 had cleared him of any wrongdoings in 2009.

KUALA LUMPUR: Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim welcomed the investigation into claims that he had instructed a Bank Negara official to channel millions of ringgit into several accounts belonging to individuals and companies in the 90s.

“I have no problems if they want to probe me. In fact, I made the same challenge in 1999,” said Anwar in a press conference at the Parliament.

Also present were PAS president Abdul Hadi Awang and DAP advisor Lim Kit Siang.

English daily New Straits Times (NST) today alleged that Anwar, in his then capacity as finance minister, had instructed then Bank Negara assistant governor Abdul Murad Khalid to manage the multi-million ringgit transactions.

Murad was reported to have also signed a statutory declaration (SD) in 1999 claiming Anwar had amassed RM3 billion during his tenure in the Cabinet.

Responding to the accusation, Anwar said he had already been cleared of any wrongdoings when the then Anti-Corruption Agency (ACA) director of investigation Abdul Razak Idris signed his SD claiming Anwar’s innocence in November 2009.

“Razak even met me at the Sungai Buloh prison during the course of the investigation and found no case against me,” said Anwar.

A check by FMT also found that Murad too had retracted his SD in 1999, claiming he was forced by the ACA to sign the form.

When asked if he would file a civil suit against NST, Anwar said he would consider it but insinuated that it would be futile exercise.

“Even now I have nearly 15 cases pending in the court for years. I’m now focused on the elections,” he said.

On why old cases were being resurrected, Anwar said that it was an attempt to discredit him as general election would be called anytime soon.

“Murad’s SD first surfaced months prior to the 1999 general election. So old cases are being highlighted as election time is nearing,” he said.

Calling NST an Umno mouthpiece, the former deputy prime minister said that he was used to being slandered by the daily and Utusan Malaysia.

“Even other Pakatan Rakyat leaders are attacked by the newspapers on a daily basis,” he said.

Also read:

Perkasa: Set up RCI to probe Anwar and RM3b


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments