Storify Feed Feedburner Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube

ROS Lboard

Swift response from S’gor govt to ultimatum

 | June 21, 2012

Former Kampung KTM Railway Line residents get offers of low cost double storey terrace houses for RM28,000 after a protest yesterday.

PETALING JAYA: The Selangor state government, in a swift response to an ultimatum by former Kampung KTM Railway Line residents, today offered them low cost houses.

Selangor exco for housing Iskandar Abdul Samad said the double storey terrace houses, in Taman Matang Jaya, would be offered to the residents for RM28,000.

Frustrated by the Selangor government’s inaction to their two-decade old demand of land promised to them, the residents held a protest outside the state secretariate building yesterday.

They even issued an ultimatum and threatened to abstain from voting for Pakatan Rakyat in the general election after their request to meet to Selangor MB Khalid Ibrahim was turned down.

Iskandar said the latest offer was endorsed by Khalid yesterday. “Another option for them is to purchase low cost flat units in Kuang for the same price,” he said.

About 229 families of KTM Railway Line were evicted from their homes by the then state government in 1992 and were promised plots of land for them to resettle.

However, the land offered to them were sold off to third parties, leaving them in a lurch.

Iskandar said if the residents do not want to buy the houses offered, the Selangor State Development Corporation (PKNS) would sell the houses for RM42,000 to outsiders.

“The difference of RM14,000 will be given to the former squatter settlers,” he said.

On claims that some of the land promised were still available, Iskandar agreed that the plots were still there but said it would not be viable for the residents to take the land.

“It will be too costly for the residents to build houses there,” he said.

Iskandar also assured the residents that PKNS would only sell the low cost houses to them once the units are repaired.

Federal Territories and Selangor Community Association (Permas) coordinator Lena Hendry confirmed that the residents had been informed of the offer made by Iskandar.

“We had informed the residents and they will have a meeting over the weekend to make a decision,” said Hendry.

Also read:

You can forget about our votes, S’gor MB told


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments