Storify Feed Feedburner Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube Vimeo

ROS Lboard

Najib went against panel in Ampang LRT contract

 | June 27, 2012

Official documents showed he went against his own initial decision to award it to the winning bidder.

UPDATED

PETALING JAYA:  PKR demanded today that Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak explain why he allegedly went against the tender panel’s decision to award the Ampang LRT extension project to the winning bidder.

Copies of official documents given to the press showed that Najib had signed the approval to award the contract to Balfour Bratty Invensys Consortium, but he was later said to be keen on granting the project to George Kent consortium instead.

Rafizi Ramli, PKR’s strategic director, pointed out that Najib’s decision to give the tender to a new party, if true, was against the decision made by the Ministry of Finance’s Acquisition Committee which convened on Jan 25, 2012.

The committee is the highest decision making body in the MoF and is chaired by Najib himself.

“This strengthens the perception of the business community locally or internationally that Najib and his family play an influential role in awarding the contract to George Kent,” he said.

Business Times had quoted sources with knowledge on the matter as saying the winning bidder for the job was expected to be announced by the government within the next few days.

Logistics consortium George Kent, first tipped to win the job in July last year, was again said to be the likely winner for the RM1 billion project in a report published five days ago. The report, however, is yet to be verified.

More exposes

The PKR leader said Najib must explain key questions pertaining to the project, chiefly as to why George Kent was so confident of winning the contract despite the announcement that a winner had already been picked.

The prime minister must also deny if he had indeed penned the approval to Balfour and what influenced him to change his mind.

“And he must convince Malaysians that his interference in the awarding of the contract has no elements of graft or misconduct.”

Today’s expose is part of Rafizi’s pledge to conduct an ongoing series of exposes on the prime minister which kickstarted on Monday when he showed the panel had gone against Prasarana Negara Bhd’s suggestion to award the project to PDA Consortium.

Prasarana, a fully-owned government company established by the Finance Ministry, is Malaysia’s primary infrastructural projects overseer. It had budgeted RM1.5 billion for the system works.

PKR said it will first wait for Najib to respond to its allegations, failing which the party will continue to reveal more details of his alleged interference in the matter.

“We have more official documents and we will reveal them in due time,” said Rafizi.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments