Storify Feed Feedburner Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube Vimeo

ROS Lboard

PKR: George Kent ‘failed’ LRT tender

 | July 3, 2012

Local contractors George Kent is 'not competent' enough to handle the multi-million ringgit Ampang LRT project, says PKR.

PETALING JAYA: PKR has revealed more documents pointing towards the George Kent consortium’s alleged inability to handle system works for the Ampang Light Rail Transit (LRT) extension project.

Pointing to various files, PKR strategic director Rafizi Ramli said that George Kent was not fit to handle the RM960 million project.

He added that the George Kent-Lion Pacific joint venture got some of the lowest scores for the project.

“George Kent has not only failed financially, but worse, it got one of the lowest [scores] when it came to technical competence,” he told reporters at PKR headquarters.

According to excerpts of a September 2011 technical evaluation report by engineering consultant company Halcrow, Rafizi showed that the George Kent JV (referred to as “Tenderer T3″ in the document) would not be able to “successfully deliver”.

In one excerpt, the report read: “On questioning the tenderer at their presentation, it was apparent that not only was there a lack of understanding or aptitude for the systems integration process, but that their proposed integration consultant neither understood the requirements…nor how to manage them.”

Rafizi also pointed out that Tenderer T3 did not have any previous rail-related experience, and that its largest project to date was worth less than RM40 million.

He also alleged that the company’s specialty was “manufacturing water meters”.

Bearing the documented disclosure, Rafizi is demanding to know why the project was to be handed over to George Kent.

PKR central committee member Wong Chen said the PM also owed an explanation to the seven other companies which had tendered for the project.

“You spend millions to do the tender, and then four to five months [later], it changes.

“We ask the PM to verify if George Kent is going to get it, and then explain to the foreign tenderers why George Kent is going to get it,” he said.

No denial from Najib

Previously, FMT reported that Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak had signed the approval to award the contract to Balfour Beatty-Invensys Consortium.

However, the premier was alleged to have been more keen to grant the project to the George Kent consortium instead.

It was also previously reported that George Kent was said to be the likely winner for the project, though this information has yet to be verified.

Additionally, Najib did not deny that George Kent got the LRT project.

The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission has, meanwhile, started a probe into the tender issue.

Also read:

‘Stop spying on us and start fighting crime’


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments