Storify Feed Feedburner Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube Vimeo

ROS Lboard

Rafizi-Ampang LRT probe is SOP, says IGP

 | July 6, 2012

Nation's top cop denies accusations of bias and says investigation was done based on a police report

KUALA LUMPUR: Inspector- General of Police Ismail Omar said today his men were only investigating PKR leader Rafizi Ramli on his claim of foul play in the Ampang rail line extension project based on a police report lodged against him.

He denied allegations of bias levelled against the force, saying the probe was not “targeted” at Rafizi but was done merely as a standard operating procedure (SOP)

Ismail, however, did not state if there was a police report lodged against the PKR strategic director.

“We are not probing anybody as we please. The investigation is based on the police report against him,” he said after officiating at an event at the police national headquarters here.

PKR yesterday blasted the police for allegedly going after Rafizi instead of probing Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak’s “suspected” role in the awarding of the RM960 million Ampang LRT extension project to the George Kent consortium.

Federal CID chief Mohd Bakri Zinin said on Wednesday that a special task force has been set up to investigate how tender documents classified as official secrets were leaked.

Rafizi said that he will not be intimidated by police investigations into the leaking of the classified documents, vowing instead to make more exposé on the contract’s award.

More exposé

He also said PKR would start a campaign to distribute leaflets about the scandal at LRT stations throughout the city soon.

Rafizi claimed Najib was behind the decision to award the contract to the George Kent consortium which was reported to have failed the initial bidding process.

The consortium was believed to have scored one of the lowest points in the technical and commercial evaluations for the project.

Rafizi, in a series of press briefings, revealed documents allegedly showing Putrajaya had decided to award the contract to South Korean-based PDA Consortium, with Najib having given the go-ahead.

Najib, last week, denied interfering in the award, but PKR said that the prime minister had neither confirmed nor denied reports that George Kent had been given the contract.

The news that George Kent was tipped to bag the project was first revealed by a news report in the Business Time.

Rafizi said he had proof that Najib had recently met with top-level individuals to announce the tender award to George Kent.

He added that the documents will be revealed soon.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments