The quota should have been announced during Ramadan, says Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Jamil Khir Baharom.
Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Jamil Khir Baharom said normally, the quota would have been known by Ramadan.
“We are still waiting until today. So, I want to remind of the need to look after diplomatic and international relations, especially with Saudi Arabia.
“We should have received the quota during Ramadan. In fact, when I was with the entourage of Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak in Mecca recently, we were still making known our request on the quota to prepare for the first flight to Mecca on Sept 17.”
He said this to reporters after officiating at the ninth convocation of the Baitulmal Professional Institute (IPB) at Dewan Perdana Felda, here, today.
Jamil Khir, however, declined to comment on the reason for the delay which could be linked to the Bersih 3.0 demonstrations staged by Malaysians in Mecca and Medina on April 26.
He said it was difficult to ascertain the cause, and Tabung Haji had been asked to get information on the quota, to facilitate preparations for Haj.
On the seditious Aidilfitri sermon text issued in mosques and surau in Kelantan, Jamil Khir, who is also Federal Territory Islamic Religious Council chairman, said the state government should be responsible and take action.
“Mosques, pulpits, sermons and imam are core elements of unity and Muslims will not benefit if a sermon causes disunity,” he added.