Storify Feed Feedburner Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube

ROS Lboard

Pahang MB, Raub MP invited to join protest

 | September 1, 2012

Protesters want Adnan Yaakob and Dr Ng Yen Yen to be present when they hand over a memorandum to representatives of a mining company in Bukit Koman.

PETALING JAYA: The Himpunan Hijau Raub committee has invited Pahang Menteri Besar Adnan Yaakob and Raub MP Dr Ng Yen Yen to attend their peaceful protest against an Australian company in Bukit Koman.

“We also them to participate in the rally and listen to our reasons and objections against Raub Australia Gold Mine cyanide gold-mining.

“We have reserved two seats for both elected representatives and hope they will not leave the seats vacant,” said the organising secretariat which is made up of Himpunan Hijau Raub and Pahang Raub Ban Cyanide in Gold Mining Action Committee (BCAC) in a press statement today.

The protest against Raub Australian Gold Mine Sdn Bhd (RAGM) is scheduled to be held tomorrow from 2pm to 4pm at Padang Kompleks Sukan, Jalan Bukit Koman.

Around 20,000 protest participants are expected to be protesting for the closure of the gold mine because they claim that the usage of cyanide by RAGM is the root cause for their health ailments.

The committee in assuring that the protest would be peaceful said that they would not tolerate any violence.

“Civilian arrest will be carried out against provocateurs.

“If anyone detects trouble-makers’ presence, please call for volunteers’ assistance and civilian arrest will be made and the will be handed over to the police for further action,” said the secretariat.

A RAGM representative is expected to receive the protesters’ memorandum tomorrow evening.

In a related development yesterday, Health Minister Liow Tiong Lai said that Bukit Koman had been consistently monitored since 2009 and urged the residents not to worry as the ministry was working closely in seeking the cause of their problems.

“We will conduct a detailed study to identify the root cause of their ailments,” he said, denying allegations that the ministry was treating their claims of cyanide poisoning lightly.

Suhakam and Bar Council would be sending their human rights monitoring teams whereas human rights NGO, Suaram would be on standby for possible arrests.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments