Storify Feed Feedburner Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube

ROS Lboard

Sulu invasion: PKR’s Leiking claims he’s Sabah ‘connection’

 | April 28, 2013

Opposition SAPP and STAR have slammed caretaker Defence Minister Zahid Hamidi for making “irresponsible” and “sweeping” statements aimed at “lying to Sabahans”

KOTA KINABALU: Penampang PKR candidate Darrel Leiking, who is in a David vs Goliath styled battle to wrest the parliamentary seat from Upko president Bernard Dompok has declared that he is ‘likely’  the “Sabah” man that Defence Minister Zahid Hamidi was referring to in relation to the Sulu army invasion.

Zahid had on Friday told a news conference that there was evidence that three opposition leaders were involved in the Sulu plot and that one of them was from Sabah.

But Zahid declined to reveal the names saying he didn’t want the issue politicized.

But Leiking told a ceramah on Friday night that he was likely the man Zahid was referring to.

Leiking reasoned that he together with PKR leaders R Sivarasa and Tian Chua had made the trip to Manila to get information on Manuel Amalilio, who had been accused of cheating Filipinos of RM1bil. He is now in jail for having a fake Philippines passport.

“It was in February but the trip had nothing to do with the Sulus.

“We condemn the Sulu incursion and we hope no one distorts the facts to make us look bad,” said Leiking urging the authorities to reveal the names so that they can defend themselves in court.

But in Bagan Datoh yesterday Zahid refused to budge.

He told reporters that if the individuals were exposed before the general election on May 5, it would appear as though it had political motive.

“So, wait until after the general election which I feel is the best time to do it. Let us face the general election first,” he said.

Show proof

Meanwhile local parties have slammed Zahid for making ‘irresponsible’ allegations.

In a statement issued here today, Sabah Progressive Peoples Party (SAPP) president Yong Teck Lee accused Zahid of “playing politics with security matters.”

“It is irresponsible on the part of the Defence Minister to play politics with security matters.  His allegations of  the three opposition leaders being involved in the Lahad Datu incursions is neither here nor there.

“The government should take immediate action as it involves national security,” he said.

Borneo Insider quoted Sabah State Reform Party (STAR) chief Jeffrey Kitingan as saying that Zahid should refrain from making “irresponsible and sweeping statements” against the opposition and lying to the people especially in Sabah.

“The caretaker minister should more specifically reply, notwithstanding his accusations, the reasons and rationale for the Sulu sultanate and their representatives being invited and attending the Umno general assemblies and photographed meeting and dining with the PM Najib and other Umno leaders,” Jeffrey said.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments