Facebook Twitter Google Plus Vimeo Youtube Feed Feedburner

ROS LBoard 1

Reveal contents of report if you dare, Zahid told

 | June 21, 2013

This is so that the public can decide for themselves if he should remain as Home Minister pending trial of his civil suit for assault, says Gobind Singh Deo.

PETALING JAYA: Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi has 48 hours to meet Puchong MP Gobind Singh Deo’s challenge to reveal the contents of the police report lodged against him by businessman Amir Abdullah Bazli.

The DAP National Legal Bureau chairman said that this is necessary for the public to decide for themselves whether Ahmad Zahid should remain as Home Minister, pending trial of his civil suit for assault.

Gobind had earlier called for Zahid to be suspended from the Cabinet pending the outcome of the civil suit as its outcome could trigger off calls for police action and it would be “improper” for Zahid to be the minister in charge of the police if that were to happen.

Zahid in response to Gobind’s call for his resignation said that only the Prime Minister can make that decision.

“The Prime Minister is the one who appoints and dismisses a minister, that is his prerogative,” said Zahid earlier this week.

Gobind in turn said that the Prime Minister has yet again demonstrated his lack of ability to deal with matters of controversy as he has failed to respond.

“Now that Zahid has walked into the ring, I dare him to go all the way, to show the rakyat what the allegations against him are in full and explain why it is he should not step aside as Home Minister whilst awaiting trial,” said Gobind.

He added that if Zahid was sure there is nothing for him to worry about and that the Prime Minister has made the right decision by remaining silent over his call for his temporary removal, “then he should be brave enough to take up my challenge.”

Zahid was sued by businessman Amir Abdullah Bazli for allegedly punching him in the eye on Jan 16, 2006 at the Country Heights recreational club, causing the latter to suffer a nasal bone fracture and a swollen left eye.

Zahid had denied the allegation and applied to the Kuala Lumpur High Court for the case to be thrown out and the application was dismissed by the same court on April 21, 2010.

He later filed a counter suit against the 41-year-old businessman, claiming to have suffered humiliation and emotional trauma as a result of the accusation.

However, last year, a three-judge panel of the Court of Appeal unanimously ruled against Zahid’s bid to strike out the assault suit and ordered the minister to pay RM5,000 in costs.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments