The National Airline chief says after 17-days and being in the middle of nowhere, the chances for passengers and crew of the ill fated MH370 to survive was extremely low.
KUALA LUMPUR: The remoteness of the south Indian Ocean coupled with the fact that MH370 did not have a place to land, indicates that the chances of survival of the 239 passengers and crew on board jetliner was “extremely hard”.
MAS Chief Executive Officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said the last known location of the Boeing 777-200ER aircraft was in the middle of the Southern Indian Ocean and with little fuel left, it could be concluded that the aircraft, which had been missing since March 8, went down into the ocean.
“The flight’s last known location is in the middle of the southern part of the Indian ocean. There was only a little fuel left on the aircraft.
“There was no land mass area for the flight (to land) and we can conclude that it went down into the ocean. The area is very remote.
“Yesterday, was the 17th day of the rescue mission and for anyone to survive that long is extremely hard,” Jauhari said at the daily press briefing on the missing aeroplane.
MH370 went missing on a routine flight from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport to Beijing, China, while flying over the South China Sea. The aircraft was spotted by military radar an hour after it disappeared from civilian radar, in the western side of peninsula Malaysia heading towards the Andaman Sea.
Satellite links indicate that the jetliner ended its journey, carrying 239 passengers and crew, in the southern Indian Ocean. Search efforts are now underway in the spot where the plane was suspected to have crashed, some 2,500 km southwest of Perth.
It must be noted that the jet’s transponders were switched off from the plane which made it harder to track the jet.
Yesterday, Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak announced that new radar analysis concluded that the missing Malaysia Airlines MH370 had crashed in the southern Indian Ocean, bringing to end a 17-day mystery of the fate of the runaway jetliner.
The revelation also confirmed the tragic news that no passengers could have survived the crash.
Asked if the government would continue with its search and rescue mission after yesterday’s announcement, Acting Transport Minister, Hishammuddin Hussein, who was at the press conference said Malaysia will continue its search for the plane even if other nations pull out of the operation.
“We will still carry on with the search and rescue mission. We have been consistent from day one,” he said.
Hishammuddin, however did not confirm if remnants of the plane, when found, would be brought back to Malaysia or Australia.
“I can only presume that it will be brought to Australian soil however I cannot confirm that now,” he added.
Responding to reports that Chinese families of passengers in Beijing were upset with the Malaysian government over its method in disseminating valuable information, Hishammuddin said it was hard for the government to disclose any information to the families without showing them evidence.
“My only problem is to give them answers that they really wanted to know. Where is their loved ones and the MH 370?,
“Until we can find the debris and we can confirm it is from MH 370, it is very difficult for me to have a closure for the family,” Hishammuddin added.