Facebook Twitter Google Plus Vimeo Youtube Feed Feedburner

ROS LBoard 1

AG: Investigations into 1MDB continue

 | October 8, 2015

The investigations conducted by the respective agencies were never at any time halted or hindered.

1mdb_ag_investigation_600

KUALA LUMPUR: The Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) has clarified in a statement that the special Task Force on investigations into 1MDB has never been dissolved or disbanded and that it has never made any statement to that effect.

In fact, added the statement, the investigations conducted by the respective agencies were never at any time halted or hindered. “The Attorney-General (AG) has been constantly monitoring and giving instructions to the relevant agencies whenever the investigations were referred to the AGC, including instructions to expedite investigations.”

The AGC was commenting on a statement issued by the Keeper of the Rulers’ Seal on behalf of the Rulers on 7 October 2015 and prior adverse or negative statements and comments against the AGC on the delay in the completion of the investigation related to 1MDB.

“As of today the Royal Malaysia Police (RMP) and the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) have not completed their investigations as some key witnesses’ statements have yet to be recorded,” said the AGC.

As for Bank Negara, it said, the investigation was conducted into 1MDB for an offence under paragraph (4)(b) of Part 1 of the Fifth Schedule to the Exchange Control Act 1953 namely, knowingly or recklessly making a statement which is false in a material particular. “The investigation paper (IP) was submitted to the AGC on 21 August 2015.”

Having studied the IP, the Deputy Solicitor-General 1, Tun Abd Majid bin Tun Hamzah, decided that there was no offence committed by the 1MDB officials and directed that no further action should be taken. “The IP was returned to Bank Negara on 11 September 2015. Hence the decision had been communicated to Bank Negara on the same day.”

However, the statement said, on 1 October 2015 Bank Negara transmitted a letter of request to the AGC to have the decision reviewed. “Having considered the request and the fact that there was no new evidence made available, the AG decided to maintain the decision made earlier.”

In this respect, the AGC stated that what had been in the news between 12 September 2015 until today concerning the IP still being with the AGC and that discussions were ongoing, was inaccurate and not true.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments