Facebook Twitter Google Plus Vimeo Youtube Feed Feedburner

ROS LBoard 1

‘Lone wolf’ Sabahan teen held for IS Sandakan plot

 | August 13, 2016

IGP says the 17-year-old planned to slaughter non-Muslims and had posted threats to kill him.

khalid-abu-bakar_isis_600

KUALA LUMPUR: Nine men including a 17-year-old teenager have been detained by Bukit Aman’s Counter Terrorism Special Branch for suspected involvement in militant activities of Daesh (Islamic State terrorist network).

The Inspector-General of Police, Khalid Abu Bakar, said the suspects aged between 17 and 56 were caught in Johor, Sabah, Kelantan and the federal capital between July 20 and Aug 9.

He said some of the suspects had been planning to carry out a number of attacks. The targets included Bukit Aman (federal police headquarters) and an entertainment centre in Johor.

The teen who was detained in Sabah had planned to carry out a lone wolf attack to slaughter non Muslims in Sandakan, he said. The teenager had also issued threats on his Facebook account about killing the IGP.

“Another suspect, aged 26, who was detained in Johor had planned to carry out attacks on Bukit Aman and the government administrative complex in Putrajaya,” he said in a statement here today.

Khalid said the 26-year-old suspect was believed to be receiving orders from Muhammad Wanndy Mohamed Jedi, a Malaysian Daesh terrorist group member in Syria.

He said three foreigners, who were former soldiers, were detained on suspicion of using Malaysia as a transit to obtain fake travel documents. “They also planned to launch attacks in a country in the Middle East,” he said without naming the country.

In a related development, he said police nabbed two men on their wanted list, Md Saifuddin Muji, 28, and Jasanizam Rosni, 33, for suspected involvement in the hand grenade explosion at an entertainment centre in Puchong on June 28.

The two men were intercepted on Aug 9 in a hut in Kuala Krai, Kelantan.

“Since early July, these two men had been waiting for Muhammad Wanndy’s orders to launch an attack on the entertainment centre in Johor Bahru.

“Police seized an M67 hand grenade meant for the attack,” he said.

Khalid said police had also detained two men in Batu Pahat, Johor and Kuala Krai, Kelantan, respectively, for harbouring Jasanizam and Md Saifuddin.

EARLIER REPORT:

Two held for IS attack on Puchong bar


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments