Facebook Twitter Google Plus Vimeo Youtube Feed Feedburner

ROS LBoard 1

East coast floods: Efforts focused on Pengkalan Kubor, Tumpat

 | January 4, 2017

Kelantan Fire and Rescue Department says water from Sungai Rantau Panjang and Kuala Krai will flow towards Pengkalan Kubor and Tumpat.

5

PETALING JAYA: The Kelantan Fire and Rescue Department will concentrate their rescue efforts in Pengakalan Kubor and Tumpat, as waters from two main rivers in the state will end up in the two low lying areas.

Speaking to FMT, Kelantan Fire and Rescue Department deputy director (Operations) Hussin Ab Rahman said, however, this did not mean other parts of the state would be neglected, adding that the department would continue with rescue efforts in all affected areas.

He said water levels of the main rivers in flood-hit areas were decreasing, but water from Sungai Rantau Panjang and Kuala Krai would flow towards Pengkalan Kubor and Tumpat.

“Presently, we have enough fire and rescue personnel and other security personnel. As of now, we do not require any help from outside the state.”

Hussin said he expected water levels in flooded areas to subside this evening as the rain had stopped for now.

“Following the latest trend, the water levels of the main rivers are starting to subside as it has stopped raining.

However, over 9,000 people are still in evacuation centres.

“If it does not rain again and the water levels of the main rivers continue to drop within the next couple of days, the evacuees can return home.”

Husin also said all hospitals in the state were operating as usual, unlike during the 2014 floods, adding that no hospital had been flooded for now.

Meanwhile, minister in the prime minister’s department Shahidan Kassim said there was sufficient food for all evacuees.

He said, however, the authorities were facing difficulties in delivering aid to some areas as water levels were rising fast in these areas.

“All aid is being delivered on schedule, but we are facing some challenges because water levels are rising fast in some areas,” he said, adding he would be going down to the ground today to monitor the situation.

It was reported earlier today that some 10,236 people, including 3,560 children and 299 toddlers, in Kelantan had been evacuated as of 10.39am.

In Terengganu, some 10,447 people, including 3,640 children and 85 toddlers, have been evacuated.

East coast floods: More than 20,000 evacuated


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments