Facebook Twitter Google Plus Vimeo Youtube Feed Feedburner

ROS LBoard 1

CM: We’re grateful but RM150m for flood mitigation not new

 | November 8, 2017

Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng says amount stated by Prime Minister Najib Razak was already promised last year by federal minister to help state deal with floods.

guan-eng-banjirPETALING JAYA: While thanking Prime Minister Najib Razak for his visit to Penang, Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng, however, revealed that the former’s mention of a RM150 million allocation for flood mitigation was not new.

According to Lim, Natural Resources and Environment Minister Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar had on Nov 8, 2016, said that RM150 million was approved by the government for flood mitigation projects.

“While Najib did not announce any new allocation for flood mitigation projects in Penang, I am happy that he will seriously consider the RM1 billion of flood mitigation projects still not released under the previous 5-year Malaysia Development Plans,” Lim said in a statement today.

The DAP secretary-general then lamented the misfortune that had befallen Penang.

“Penang is unfortunate indeed to be hit by a triple whammy, firstly of the spillover effects from Typhoon Damrey that hit Vietnam last Saturday.

“Then there was the unexpected fierce 65kmh winds never seen before in Malaysia that were so bad that a Penang ferry could be lifted up and pushed up on the concrete jetty.

“Finally, the heavy rains and floods in Kedah which caused record volume of water to gush down our rivers, overflowing the river banks, here on the way to the sea,” he said.

Lim also highlighted how as a result of the river overflowing, parts of Seberang Perai Utara and Seberang Perai Tengah districts had suffered flooding “even though there was not a single drop of rain”.

“The situation has normalisd in Penang with flood centres closed and evacuees returning home, except for the two districts mentioned affected by flood waters from Kedah.

“Our focus is to continue with the relief and rescue work to ensure that the situation can normalise quickly so that residents can return to their homes to clean up and repair their damaged properties,” Lim said.

He added the statistics on the number of victims following the heavy rains that fell last weekend were more on the mainland than on the island.

“The number of evacuees caused by flood waters gushing in from Kedah is worse with 1284 families and 5,102 people still seeking shelter at flood relief centres.

“As of this afternoon, 821 families with 3,381 people are sheltering at Seberang Perai Utara District and 463 families with 1721 people at Seberang Perai Tengah District,” Lim said.

He also thanked political parties, NGOs such as Tzu Zhi, individuals and members of public who have generously donated not only money but also their time and manpower to these victims including helping to clean up their damaged properties

“We are also grateful to Johor Crown Prince Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim, for donating Johor Darul Takzim’s (JDT) prize money from the recent Malaysia Cup victory to the flood victims in ravaged Penang.”

 


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments