FMT LETTER: From Paola Zanin (Italy), via e-mail
Even after it had been being revealed, with evidence in pictures, Melaka Zoo refuses to accept that the orangutans are being mistreated, and this is a zoo run by a government who are about to spend US$7 million to import two pandas on loan from China.
I would like to ask for:
- Enrichment to be immediately added to all night cages
- Improvement to outdoor exhibits/enclosures
- All orangutans be given chance to be in the outdoor exhibit
- Relocation of orangutans from Melaka Zoo be made ASAP, and where will they be sent?
- Assessment on the Sumatran orangutan in question, on its mental and physical health
- Supervision around outdoor enclosures to stop visitors from throwing junk food and rubbish into the enclosures.
I’m really disgusted with Melaka Zoo for refusing to accept responsibility and making changes to improve the living conditions of the animals under its care.