Facebook Twitter Google Plus Vimeo Youtube Feed Feedburner

Sports Home LBoard

East Timor official gets life ban for match-fixing

 | July 13, 2017

Henriques was recently released from jail in Singapore after he had pleaded guilty to various offences relating to the matter in 2015, the AFC said.

soccer

KUALA LUMPUR: A top East Timor official has been banned for life from taking part in any football-related activity after he accepted money to lose a match against Malaysia, the Asian football body said Thursday.

Orlando Marques Henriques was found guilty of receiving $15,000 from a third party to arrange for seven players from the East Timor team to lose the match in May 2015, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) said in a statement.

Henriques was recently released from jail in Singapore after he had pleaded guilty to various offences relating to the matter in 2015, the AFC said.

In January, East Timor were expelled from the 2023 Asian Cup for falsifying documents of several Brazil-born players.

The AFC also said that Al Wahda’s head coach Javier Aguirre had been suspended for three matches for making “provocative gestures and spitting in the direction of spectators” following his expulsion during a Group D Asian Champions League match between Persepolis of Iran and the Abu Dhabi side on May 8.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments