M-League to go on as planned, says sports minister

M-League action will resume on Aug 26, but to empty stadiums. (Bernama pic)

PETALING JAYA: The resumption of the M-League football competitions on Aug 26 has not been postponed, Youth and Sports Minister Reezal Merican Naina Merican said today.

He added that he was unaware of a meeting by the National Security Council to discuss re-imposing a ban on contact sports.

Claiming he was in constant contact with Senior Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob, Reezal said there had been no discussion between them on the matter.

“The present ruling requiring matches to be played without spectators remains,” he said.

Reezal Merican Naina Merican

The ban on contact sports which was imposed in March was lifted in July with competitions being allowed to resume from Aug 15.

However, some confusion arose following media speculation that the government would make a special announcement today re-imposing the ban on contact sports.

Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) president Hamidin Mohd Amin said he was relieved with the clarification by Reezal.

Hamidin asked FAM affiliates to pay heed to official notifications instead of getting anxious over speculative reports.