- 90g fresh red chilies (or 60g red chilies and 30g green birds eye chilies for a spicier kick)
- 13.5g belacan
- 15g sugar
- 15g lime
- 3/8 tsp salt
1. Remove the stems, and tear or cut the chilies into pieces. Do not remove the seeds.
2. Add the chilies and belacan to a mortar. Using a pestle, bruise and crush the mixture until the chilli and most of its seeds have been broken down. You do not want it to be too mushy or overly crushed – some texture is important.
Add the sugar, lime and salt to the mortar and continue stirring with the pestle until it is mixed well into the sambal.
1. Put on an old tee or top that you do not mind getting chilli splatters on.
2. If using a food processor, mix all the ingredients together and blend. You may want to deseed some chilies for a better end-result visually.
Recipe by butterkicap.com