Hello, gorgeous salmon! There is something quite celebratory and special about serving salmon.
From gorgeous steamed salmon head with salted soya bean garlic chilli sauce to slow-cooked salmon in a tomato base, there’s just so many decadent ways to enjoy this popular fish.
So let’s get cooking…
- 1 kg salmon belly and top loin, cut into 3cm cubes
- 150g cornflour
- 2 teaspoons Szechuan pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Togarashi chilli
- a pinch of white pepper
- a pinch of 5-spice powder
- Peanut oil, for deep frying
- Season salmon cubes with a sprinkle of salt, then coat with cornflour.
- Heat oil and fry salmon cubes to a golden brown. Set aside.
- Lightly toast Szechuan peppers till fragrant, then pound.
- Mix crushed Szechuan peppers with salt, 5-spice, Togarashi chilli and white pepper.
- Serve on the side with pan-fried salmon. You can also pour over the top and serve.
This article first appeared in butterkicap.com
Butterkicap is a food and culture platform and community that enables anyone to experience Malaysia through stories of her people, food and places.