These delicious sweet and sour crab claws are made with tomato ketchup, chilli sauce, egg, ginger, garlic, and cilantro.
If you use frozen crab claws, you’ll find it lacks the natural sweetness that crabs are famous for – so best to stick with fresh.
However, the good news is that whether fresh or frozen crab claws, the sauce for this recipe is so delicious, you’ll enjoy this dish anyway.
What’s more, it’s real quick and easy to put together as the crabs take only about 10 minutes before it’s fully cooked and ready for the table.
- 8 oz crab claws
- 1 tablespoon ketchup, tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce
- 1/2 beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water + 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic, finely chopped
- Some chopped cilantro, coriander leaves
- Rinse the crab claws with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat up a wok and add the cooking oil. When the oil is heated, add the chopped garlic and ginger and stir-fry until aromatic. Then throw in the crab claws.
- Quickly stir the crab claws a few times before adding the ketchup, chilli sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar. Toss the crab claws around with a spatula before adding water.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then add the beaten egg. Let it cook for about 1 minute or until the egg is set. Stir the egg around, dish out and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately with steamed white rice.
Tip: For the chilli sauce, it is recommended you use Lingham’s Hot Sauce.
This article first appeared in rasamalaysia.com
Low Bee Yinn is a food blogger and cookbook author.