Fried firecracker shrimp is a treat for your taste buds, sure to make everyone crave for more after the first bite. They are sure to knock your socks off as they are so delicious.
To make firecracker shrimp, first marinate the shrimp with some ginger juice plus the other seasoning.
After marinating, you wrap the shrimp in spring roll skin and deep fry them to crispy perfection.
Devour these firecracker shrimp hot as soon as they are out of the frying pan and set your tongue on fire with a dollop of spicy Sriracha chilli sauce.
Sit back, take a bite, and let the gingery and flavourful shrimp burst in your mouth.
• 20 shrimps, shelled and de veined, with tails on
• 20 pieces spring roll skin
• 1 stalk scallion, finely chopped
• 1/2 red chilli, finely chopped
• 8 cm ginger, peeled, pounded and squeezed for the juice
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon lime juice
• 1/4 spoon of sesame oil
• 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
• 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
• 3 dashes white pepper
• 1 egg white, lightly whisked for sealing purposes
• Pat dry the shrimps with paper towels and marinate with the above ingredients and the ginger juice.
• Add in the finely chopped scallion and red chilli.
• Marinate for 20 minutes.
• Wrap each shrimp with a spring roll skin.
• Heat-up a frying pan with oil and deep-fry shrimp until light to golden brown. Serve hot.
This article first appeared in rasamalaysia.com
Low Bee Yinn is a food blogger and cookbook author.