NON-HALAL RECIPE: This ham and cheese green bean casserole is creamy and cheesy and packed full of flavours.
The green beans are not mushy and soggy, but stay fresh and crisp because they are not blanched beforehand. This recipe is healthy, delicious and feeds a large crowd.
- Unsalted butter, for greasing the baking dish
- 500 g French green beans or Haricots, trimmed and cut into 5 cm lengths
- 2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 226g ham, diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups canned French fried onions
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease a 25 x 30cm baking dish with butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk the soup, half and half, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the green beans, ham, onion, 2 cups of the cheddar cheese and 1 cup of the French fried onions.
- Pour the casserole mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and bake until bubbling and crusty, about 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top the green bean casserole with the remaining 1/2 cup French fried onions.
- Serve hot immediately.
This article first appeared in Rasa Malaysia.
Low Bee Yinn is a food blogger and cookbook author.