This is arguably the best and crispiest coconut shrimp recipe around. And it takes only 20 minutes to cook up with the added bonus of being budget-friendly.
You can bake the shrimp but nothing beats deep-frying – so why not let your guard down a little this festive season and dig into some delicious appetisers. You can head to the gym later to work off those calories.
- 1 cup Japanese panko (preferred) or breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup sweetened desiccated coconut flakes
- 230 g jumbo shrimp or tiger prawns, peeled, de-veined, tail on
- 2 beaten eggs + 2 teaspoons sugar
- oil for deep-frying
Spicy Tartar Sauce (Dipping Sauce):
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon chilli sauce or to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon finely minced onion
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 squirt lemon juice
- Preheat deep-fryer to 180°C.
- Mix the panko and coconut flakes in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Spicy Tartar Sauce. Stir to combine well. Set aside.
- Pat dry the shrimp with paper towels, dip each shrimp into the egg mixture, and immediately roll the shrimp with the panko and coconut flakes coating.
- Shake off the excess.
- Dip the shrimp into the egg mixture again, and immediately roll the shrimp with the panko mixture for a second coating.
- Make sure the shrimp is well covered with the panko and coconut flakes.
- Place the shrimp on a plate lined with parchment paper. Repeat the steps for the remaining shrimp.
- Drop each shrimp gently into the oil. Deep-fry until both sides turn golden brown.
- Transfer the shrimp out with a strainer and onto a plate lined with paper towels. Serve immediately with the Spicy Tartar Sauce.
- Use jumbo shrimp or tiger prawns for the best results.
- For extra crispiness, coat the shrimp with the beaten egg, then coat with the sweet coconut flakes and panko breadcrumbs. Repeat the process for a second coating.
- Add some sugar to the beaten eggs so every bite of the shrimp is bursting with sweet and juicy flavours.
This article first appeared in Rasa Malaysia.
Low Bee Yinn is a food blogger and cookbook author.