These homemade cookies are buttery, crumbly and melt in your mouth. These are the best and easiest cookies to bake for Christmas or any other holiday. They are very similar to the popular Danish butter cookies.
- 300g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Pam cooking spray, optional
- 100g + 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk (full cream milk)
- 350g all-purpose flour
- 100g cornstarch
- To make the cookies taste better and be more crumbly, add some Pam cooking spray to the dough. The cooking spray gives the cookies a melt-in-the-mouth texture.
- Cream the butter, sugar, egg yolk, salt and vanilla extract until fluffy. Add in the milk and mix well.
- Fold in the all-purpose flour and cornstarch. Using your hands, mix until the dough becomes soft and doesn’t stick to your hands. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough to five millimetres thick.
- Cut into rounds or any shape you wish using cookie cutters. Collect the scraps and mix it back with the dough.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes, or until cookies turn very light brown in colour and the inside is cooked through.
- Cool the cookies before eating. You can keep the cookies in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
This article first appeared in Rasa Malaysia.
Low Bee Yinn is a food blogger and cookbook author.