PETALING JAYA: It’s easy to get lost in the merriment of the season – decorating the Christmas tree, shopping for gifts, having family and friends over for dinner.
But for this year, how about making the season more meaningful by buying a bag or two or three of pet food for the many hungry dogs and cats in animal shelters across Malaysia?
For the fourth year running, Pet Lovers Centre Malaysia (PLC) is making a difference in the lives of animals with its annual Pet Food Drive in aid of animal shelters in Malaysia while giving you the perfect opportunity to make Christmas truly about the joy of giving and sharing.
Held from Dec 6 – Dec 31, the annual pet food drive aims to help animal welfare groups lower the cost of daily food whilst filling the tummies of hungry shelter dogs and cats.
This year, the list of animal shelters include:
- Paws Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) in the Klang Valley
- Save a Stray Malaysia (SASM) in the Klang Valley
- Cat Beach Sanctuary (CBS) in Penang
- Homeless and Orphan Pets Exists (HOPE) in Johor Bahru
These shelters were chosen for their perseverance in protecting and educating the public about the importance of adoption and the fair treatment of strays, which strengthens PLC’s joint messaging of “All Passion, All Pets”.
During last year’s drive, PLC collected 2,895.31 kg of pet food, and this year’s goal will be to collect around 3,600 kgs to cater to the ever-increasing number of stray animals in these shelters.
Operations Director of PLC Malaysia, Bryan Boo said, “Pet Lovers Centre is focused on providing the best, freshest food, and being the go-to retail for both pet owners and pets.
“As a brand principle, Pet Lovers Centre is constantly on the lookout for further opportunities to expand our efforts of placing adoption first.”
He added that the nation-wide partnership with the selected animal shelters would encourage the adoption and fair treatment of stray animals, leading forward with the message of caring for all animals.
PLC’s partnership with local shelters
• Besides the Pet Food Drive, PLC collects contributions as well as provides an adoption space for PAWS through their Adopt 1st Centre programme.
• Save a Stray Malaysia is a non-profit organisation that focuses on generating animal welfare awareness and dissemination of educational information to the public.
• The Cat Beach Sanctuary is a no-kill shelter that focuses on protecting rescued cats in the Penang region. Located in a fishing village of Teluk Bahang in Penang, the shelter houses more than 200 cats rescued from desperate situations.
• Johor Bahru’s HOPE meanwhile aims to rescue, re-home, sterilise and increase public awareness on pet ownership and responsibilities.
This year, PLC’s customers’ contributions will be listed on their website through their receipt number, and at the end of the campaign period, the food collected will be distributed among the four animal shelters.