What could possibly be better than chancing upon some leftover snacks and sweets at home, especially if they are M&M’s or Oreo cookies?
Well, if you’re combining them both into a super decadent snack when you’re feeling adventurous, this option is definitely sweeter (pun intended).
Have a go at this simple recipe, which you can easily swap with Graham crackers or chocolate-covered pretzels if you like.
The same goes for M&M’s, which can be replaced with your favourite candy.
It’s a simple and versatile treat that you can make over and over again for both adults and kids – well, until you run out of sweets, that is.
Do note that the bars will keep at room temperature for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to six months in an airtight container.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 16 Oreo cookies
- 1/2 cup M&M’s
- Preheat the oven to 176°C. Line an 8″x8″ baking pan with aluminium foil, spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter.
- Allow the butter to sit for a minute before whisking in the egg. Then, whisk in the brown sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the flour and stir until just combined; don’t overmix.
- Pour 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Layer the Oreos, and then pour the remaining batter evenly over the cookies. Use a spatula to spread the batter, if needed. Evenly sprinkle the M&Ms over the top and lightly press them down with your finger.
- Bake for approximately 20 to 22 minutes. The top should be set and the edges slightly firm. A toothpick inserted in the centre should come out with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
- Allow the bars to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
This recipe first appeared in Rasa Malaysia.