Line Clear nasi kandar reopens under new family partner

nasi-kandar

GEORGE TOWN: The popular Line Clear nasi kandar restaurant in a sidelane off Penang Road will reopen tomorrow after the previous management vacated the premises on Thursday, ending a long family dispute over the rights to operate the restaurant.

The new management and licence holder Abdul Latiff Ali Thulkarnai, 55, said the dispute over the rights to operate the heritage restaurant had been solved.

“Alhamdulillah (All praises be to Allah), all issues have been solved properly and what’s important now is to focus on operating the heritage restaurant,” he told reporters after thanksgiving prayers and feast were held today in conjunction with the reopening of the restaurant.

The dispute over the rights to operate the restaurant began in 2010 when Abdul Hamid Seeni Parkir, 67, refused to abide by an arrangement whereby each of the four families took turns to operate the restaurant each year, as stipulated by the Penang Island City Council.

The matter went to the High Court which decided on Jan 21 to reject Abdul Hamid’s application to strike out the city council order on the rotation system. He was ordered to evict the premises within three weeks.

Abdul Latiff Ali said the new management would serve most of the dishes that had made the restaurant popular among nasi kandar enthusiasts, with several new dishes to be added in the menu, including ‘ayam masala’ and ‘daging kicap’.

“At present, we have over 20 kinds of dishes in the menu and will also introduce several new ones. We will also retain the three cooks who have worked with the restaurant for over 20 years,” he said.

At the end of January, a new Line Clear restaurant was opened in Kampung Baru, Kuala Lumpur, by one of the partners, Mohamad Ahmad.

-BERNAMA