RM100m scam: Khairy vows to rectify financial loopholes

KJ-SPRM

KUALA LUMPUR: Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaludin stressed once again yesterday that he would take full responsibility for the controversy involving a senior officer in his ministry who allegedly embezzled more than RM107 million in public funds.

Khairy said he took full responsibility to correct all weaknesses in the financial procedures of his ministry to prevent such a scam from repeating.

“When I said I will take full responsibility, I must be fully responsible to correct the situation first.

“At the same time, if it is true I am involved, it will be revealed by the MACC investigations and the independent task force and subsequently my position can be determined,” he said in the winding-up debate on the motion of thanks for the Royal address in the Dewan Rakyat yesterday.

He was replying to an interjection by Ngeh Koo Ham (DAP-Beruas), who questioned why Khairy had not resigned after stating his stand to take full responsibility over the fraud issue.

Ngeh said there were expectations that the younger generation minister would follow in the footsteps of ministers in developed countries such as Japan, who took full responsibility by resigning when an officer under them was involved in a financial scandal.

The press had earlier reported Khairy as saying he would take full responsibility for the corruption case in his ministry and would cooperate with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to investigate the officer concerned and any other officer involved in the scam.

Meanwhile, commenting on his position as a minister, he said: “It is up to the prime minister to decide on my position.”

He said his ministry had identified loopholes and would put a stop to the process and procedures that led to the problem.

“I can’t protect anybody whether they are present or previous members of the ministry, even myself. So, anybody who needs to be questioned will be questioned by MACC,” he said.

Last Friday, MACC detained a division secretary of Khairy’s ministry after being suspected of masterminding a syndicate to embezzle RM107 million in government funds.

Yesterday, Khairy said the officer concerned had been transferred out from his ministry.

– BERNAMA