Do you have info on Richard Huckle? Call 15999

rohani-abdul-karim_richard-huckle_sexual_600

PETALING JAYA: The Women, Family and Community Development Ministry has set up a hotline for those with information on British paedophile Richard Huckle, who is accused of sexually abusing and raping Malaysian children.

Minister Rohani Abdul Karim said anyone with information on Huckle can call the Talian KASIH hotline at 15999.

“I call on the community, including parents and guardians, to work together with the ministry and the various governmental agencies to ensure the safety of Malaysian children.”

Rohani also cautioned the public to be aware of the sensitivities of the victims and families involved.

She also said that the ministry would be collecting information from the agencies involved in the Huckle case before taking action.

Her statement comes in the wake of reports that Huckle, dubbed “Britain’s worst paedophile”, now faces 22 life sentences for attacking hundreds of children in Southeast Asia, especially in Malaysia.

The 30-year-old had targeted small, impoverished children from Christian families in Malaysia, where he posed as a photographer and English teacher to win the trust of his victims’ parents.

Rohani also reiterated that a registry for sex offenders will be set up under the amendments of the Child Act 2001.

In January, the ministry revealed that the registry will contain details of peadophiles and convicts who committed various offences, which will act as a reference for employers.

Meanwhile, Bernama reports that police are taking steps to identify Huckle’s victims, who admitted to multiple counts of molesting Malaysian children.

Federal Police’s Sexual, Women and Child Investigation Division Assistant Principal Director ACP Ong Chin Lan said Bukit Aman had already asked London-based National Crime Agency (NCA) to hand over the details of the case.

“So far, the victims have not been identified and the NCA only informed about the incident about one month ago, but no information had been given because the case is still on trial.

“We have asked for the information repeatedly and will continue to press them for more information for follow-up action. Hopefully, after the court judgment on Friday, the authorities in United Kingdom can provide us with more information,” she told Bernama today.

British media reported that freelance photographer Huckle, 30, may have abused up to 200 children aged between six months and 12 years, from 2006 to 2014.

The BBC reported that his sentencing hearing began in London on Wednesday and is expected to conclude tomorrow.

The 91 charges levelled against him related to 23 children from mainly poor communities in Kuala Lumpur. He admitted to 71 of the charges.

The broadcaster said he first visited Malaysia on a teaching gap year when he was 18 or 19, before going on to groom children while doing voluntary work.

Meanwhile, Ong said a programme in cooperation with a non-governmental organisation was being planned to help the victims.

She was also asked on whether police would ask that Huckle be extradited to Malaysia.

“We will not try him (Huckle) in Malaysia because the sentence (which will be imposed) in the United Kingdom is for offences committed in Malaysia. He cannot be punished twice,” she said.