‘We don’t know if Bangladeshi in attack studied in M’sia’

khalid-mohas

KUALA LUMPUR: The authorities in Bangladesh have yet to confirm an allegation that a Bangladeshi who had studied at the Monash University in Malaysia was involved in the Dhaka attack last Friday, according to Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar.

He said the allegation was being spread on social media but had not been verified.

“I don’t know where the media got that information from. Don’t just take from social media and pass it off as news.

“I want to explain that until now, the authorities from Bangladesh have yet to verify if the pictures being shared (on social media) is of the person who carried out the attack or a victim,” he said at a press conference in Bukit Aman, here, today.

Last Friday, seven armed IS militants attacked the Holey Artisan Bakery in Dhaka, resulting in the deaths of 22 people, including two policemen.

Six attackers were shot dead by authorities while one person was detained and is being interrogated.

The media had reported that one of the attackers was a former accounting student at the Monash University here and was known as Nibras Islam.

The New Straits Times reported that a police source said that the Bukit Aman Special Branch Counter-Terrorism Unit was investigating the matter.

Khalid said police confirmed two of the individuals in the pictures being shared were students here, but could not verify if they were involved in the attacks.

“Don’t be too quick to jump to conclusions. If they were involved, we have to look into whether they were radicalised here or in another country.”

On a separate matter, Khalid informed that police were not involved in directing the Petaling Jaya Assumption Church to cancel their buka puasa event last week.

“We have checked with Selangor police and (they confirmed) they never sent officers there. We also did not receive any reports.

“I’m worried that this was done to damage the image of the police.

“The church was too quick to bring this matter to the media without informing us.”

Social activist Syed Azmi Alhabshi previously posted on Facebook that the event at the church had been cancelled.

He claimed this was done after receiving advice from the police, based on the possibility of any group or individuals creating chaos during the function.

The church cancelled the function and later distributed the food packets that had already been ordered.