Bersih 5: Organisers turn down Gerakan Youth’s stadium offer

Tan-Keng-Liang_bersihj_600

PETALING JAYA: Bersih 2.0 has declined an offer from Gerakan Youth to find a stadium in which to hold the Bersih 5 rally.

With the electoral watchdog deciding to go ahead with its next rally, the youth wing of the Barisan Nasional component party volunteered to help the rally organisers.

Gerakan Youth chief Tan Keng Liang made the offer alleging that past rallies organised by Bersih 2.0 resulted in property damage and traffic jams besides causing “chaos and violence”.

“They should not place public safety at risk and disrupt the lives of Malaysians for their personal agenda,” Tan said in a statement.

Bersih 2.0 Chairperson Maria Chin Abdullah, however, dismissed such claims, pointing out that the Bersih 4 rally, held over two days in August last year, did not see any property damaged, nor was there any rubbish left in and around the Dataran Merdeka.

“On our part we have taken care to reduce inconveniences. Bear in mind, the right to assembly is still the citizens’ right,” Chin told FMT.

This is not the first time Tan offered Bersih 2.0 to find a stadium for its planned rally.

On July 25, Tan had proposed a similar offer in order for the coalition to hold a “peaceful demonstration” when it was reported that Bersih 2.0 was still considering the idea of holding a rally.

Earlier today, Bersih 2.0 said it would be organising a demonstration against the government’s continuing “denial and inaction” over the 1MDB scandal.

This especially after the United States Department of Justice had filed a suit to recover billions in assets with funds allegedly misappropriated from the state-owned investment firm.

Bersih 2.0 said they still have not decided on when and where to hold its rally.

Related story:

Bersih 2.0 to march on with fifth rally