Chemical spill in school, 22 students receive treatment

chemical

KUALA LUMPUR: Twenty-two students of Sekolah Menengah Islam IQ in Kuala Lumpur suffered skin allergies when one of its chemical jars broke and leaked in the school laboratory yesterday.

In the 4pm incident, a jar containing sulphuric acid bromide fell and broke during class, causing 17 male and five female students to suffer from skin irritation.

The Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue operations chief Samsol Maarif Saibani said when they arrived at the scene 20 minutes later, the students and teacher involved were instructed to exit the laboratory and to immediately bathe and drink fresh milk to avoid the occurrence of any side effects.

Samsol said 14 firemen and officers from the Sri Hartamas fire station, as well as the Hazardous Materials Unit (Hazmat) rushed to the location.

He said they successfully cleared the chemical spill 30 minutes later and all the students were taken to the Damansara Medical Centre for treatment.