Rafizi moves to strike out LTAT suit in part

rafizi ltat

KUALA LUMPUR: Pandan MP Rafizi Ramli has filed an application to strike out part of a lawsuit by the Armed Forces Fund Board (LTAT).

Rafizi’s lawyer Saiful Izham Ramli said the application was filed at the High Court here on Monday.

According to the lawyer, among allegations made by LTAT were things that Rafizi did not do and the demands made were based on what his client had purportedly said.

“The statement of claim is defective and this is prejudicial to my client.”

For example, he said, the Malaysiakini article dated March 24 that LTAT referred to in its statement of claim was in English. “But the statement of claim said the article was in Malay. This is erroneous.”

Also, he said his client had no part in publishing the said article.

“LTAT cannot accuse him of being the publisher.”

The lawyer told reporters after case management at the High Court on Friday that they were not applying to strike out the lawsuit, just parts of it.

He added the High Court judge postponed the case management pending a hearing on Rafizi’s application on October 12.

Rafizi had previously said that he planned to call former 1MDB chairman Lodin Wok Kamaruddin to testify. This follows the lawmaker’s reported claim that he had documents to prove links between LTAT and the trouble-stricken 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

Rafizi claimed on March 21 that delays in gratuity payments to non-pensionable veteran soldiers could be the result of dealings between LTAT and 1MDB.

LTAT refuted the allegation by claiming that 70 people on the list had already received payments.

The board subsequently filed the lawsuit against Rafizi.