PUTRAJAYA: Police will review the notice from organisers of the #TangkapMalaysianOfficial1 rally, the country’s top cop said.
Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar, however, stressed that the organisers will have to adhere to the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012.
“If they follow the requirements under the Act, we will review (the notice),” he told reporters after welcoming Philippine Secretary of Interior and Local Government Ismael Sueno, who paid a courtesy call on Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
Asked if there was any specific venue where the group could hold a rally, he said: “Let’s see where they apply for.”
Recently, Kuala Lumpur Police Chief Commissioner Amar Singh said stern action would be taken against the organisers of the #TangkapMalaysianOfficial1 rally if they failed to notify police 10 days prior to the assembly.
Earlier this month, a coalition of student groups announced that the rally would be held at Dataran Merdeka here on Aug 27.
The rally, which hopes to attract some 10,000 participants, was aimed at pressuring authorities to arrest and charge “Malaysian Official 1” (MO1).