IGP: SIM card in Thai bomb may not be from M’sia

khalid-abu-bakar_bom_sim-card_600

PUTRAJAYA: Preliminary investigations on the SIM card and handphone used in a bombing incident in Phuket, Thailand, have yet to find any indications to show it (SIM card) is from Malaysia, said Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar.

He said SIM cards issued by Malaysian telecommunication companies had certain security features but the SIM card concerned did not.

“We have examined the SIM card and also the handphone, but so far there is not enough evidence that the card is from us (Malaysia),” he told reporters on the side-lines of the International Conference on Blue Ocean Strategy (ICBOS) at the Putrajaya International Convention Centre here today.

However, he said the investigations were not over yet.

The media had reported that Thailand had asked for Malaysia’s help to assist investigations over the bombing incident in Phuket on Friday as Thai police believed the SIM card originated from Malaysia.

The Phuket incident was one of 11 coordinated bombing attacks in five provinces, including tourist spots in southern Thailand.

The incidents claimed the lives of four Thais and left 36 people injured, 10 of them foreigners.