DBKL must give nod for rally, say police

Zainol-Samah3_dbkl_tangkap_600

PETALING JAYA: The notice given by the organisers of the Tangkap Malaysian Official 1 rally cannot be processed as they did not obtain permission from the KL City Hall (DBKL).

The rally, dubbed #TangkapMalaysianOfficial1, is being organised by a group of students who plan to hold it on Aug 27 at Dataran Merdeka.

They are targeting some 10,000 participants to join them in pressuring the authorities to arrest and charge “Malaysian Official 1″ (MO1).

MO1 is mentioned in the lawsuit filed by the United States Department of Justice (DoJ) to seize assets allegedly purchased by several individuals using funds said to have been misappropriated from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

Dang Wangi District Police Chief ACP Zainol Samah said the notice, under Section 9(1) of the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012, was received today.

However, he has informed the organisers to get in touch with DBKL to obtain permission to hold the rally at Dataran Merdeka.

“Approval is needed, as stated under Section 10 of the PAA,” Zainol said in a statement today.

He noted that DBKL had already informed the organisers earlier that the date was not suitable as rehearsals for the Merdeka Day celebration would be taking place at the time.

“We have advised them not to hold the rally on that date as it will disrupt the preparations for the Merdeka Day celebration.

“If no approval is obtained, and they proceed with the rally, police will take action in accordance with the provisions of the law.”

He said police will also inform the universities as well as parents about the rally-goers who are university students.

“If they get approval, then the police will take note of this and facilitate the rally.”